“If you don’t know where you’re going, you’ll end up someplace else.” Yogi Berra
Yogi Berra’s statement highlights the focus of Purposes for Life (P4L). We want to help people think about critical future issues, and live each day with more fulfillment — knowing where they’re going.
If you are troubled by your answers to the following questions, or if you can’t answer them, then P4L may be a path to consider….
- Is your job providing excitement in areas that are important to you?
- Have you told important people in your life how much you value them? Have your actions supported this love?
- Are financial difficulties a barrier to happier relationships?
- Do your children get your regular, personal attention?
- What are three things you do for yourself weekly that give you energy?
- Can you describe three major things you want to do before you die?
- How would your best friend describe the impact you have made on others around you?
- Do interpersonal relationships seem strained between you and someone important in your life? Is it clear to you why?
- Are you learning new things that are exciting to you?
- Do you have a will? When was it last updated?
- Are you waiting until retirement to do things you would enjoy EVEN MORE right now? What is causing you not to do them now?
As an example of this need for focus on P4L today, think about the typical response when you ask people “How are you doing?” What percentage of the time is the response “busy”?
Doesn’t “busy” seem like the politically correct expression today? Perhaps the follow-up question should be: “Is this BUSYness like a leaf floating aimlessly on a stream or like a airline captain with a flight plan navigating the airways?”
P4L’s premise is that most human beings have become “human DOings” — we’re spending less time thinking about what we do and more time in meaningless activities. However, WE HAVE A CHOICE!
Purposes for Life allows each individual to identify their desired significant activities in life today and fosters ways to make them happen!!! Because each person has unique backgrounds and opportunities, plans are customized to meet the particular focus areas based on individual feedback and follow-up exercises. This program eliminates the need to read ALL of the literature out there on the various components of Life Planning.
As you embrace the P4L philosphy, initial time will be spent focusing on what is important to you. Then, equipped with key life purposes, the remaining waking hours can be used in ways that support fulfillment today and in the future!