Chapel Folk – friends having fun with music!
What we are: “a ‘garage band’ that gets together in the MWPC Chapel”.
“GIGS” – 2019
NEC sing-alongs: 1/28, 4/1, 5/29 (Wed), 7/31 (Wed), 9/30, 12/2 (Mondays unless noted differently)
- small group (4-6 people) weekly “therapy”;
- periodic fellowship gatherings with families and friends;
- encourage other such MWPC musical groups to also be created;
- participate in worship occasionally, as asked (not more than 6-8 Sundays a year;)
- support of mission fund-raising events (Ft. Thomas Presby chili dinners, MWPC Relay, ) when invited and available;
- support or instigate church fellowship activities (church picnic in June, PW gatherings, bonfire, Hootenannys, …); as invited and available,
- visit NEC every other month for sing-alongs;
- visit other senior living locations (PineBrook, SEM Terrace, …) periodically;
- visit members/friends in homes occasionally;
We have audio and video of various events, though not shared publicly
- Video of NEC sing-along from 2017-08-02 (Part 1) (Part 2)
- Audio of the Chapel Chaps from MWPC’s Advent Celebration 2013
- Blessings_All Prayed Up – 2018-04-29 MWPC worship
- MWPC’s Centennial Sunday Supper in 2012, with “the Pips and Pip-sqeeks” in the background
Flattering Poem about Chapel Folk – Provided as a gift by Dave Thomas
Recordings of “our” music
Wade in the Water – arranged by Alan Stone and performed by Chapel Folk
** Possible future worship songs include It is Well with My Soul; I Will See You Again; Early in the Mornin’; Fillin’ Station; Gone Home; Hallelujah, I’m Ready; I Am A Pilgrim; I Saw The Light; I Was There To Hear Your Borning Cry; Just a Little Talk With Jesus; Just a Closer Walk; Keep on the Firing Line; Long Black Train; Let the Flame Burn Brighter; Smoke on the Mountain; Wade in the Water; What Have You Done to Lift Somebody Up; Never Alone;
Chapel Folk began in the Spring of 1999 when two buddies in the church choir decided that it might be worth getting people together to play guitars and singing some folk songs. From that has blossomed a small group that enjoys weekly music therapy and fellowship. Here’s a little video recollection from Steve on the formation of Chapel Folk.
Over the years we have played numerous times in worship for Mt. Washington Presbyterian Church (our chapel “home”), at “Good for the Soul” events, Hootenannys, bonfires and even a few rummage sales! 🙂
Outside the church, we enjoy every-other-month sing-along efforts at The New England Club in Anderson Township. We’ve also played at mission chili dinners at Ft. Thomas First Presbyterian plus gigs at The Seasons in Kenwood, SEM in Milford, Sunrise in Montgomery, Pinebrook in Milford and Sunrise in Amelia. On several occasions we have participated in singing with the Girl Scouts at the concluding events of their summer camp.
This group values the small group fellowship and sound, and ordinarily has been in the 5-7 member size. Members of the group have included: Jack Bunce*, Steve Long*, Kathleen Stewart*, Bruce Fogwell*, Jim Dockendorff*, Becci Crist, Caroline Craig, Ann Marie Allen* and Alan Stone* (* notes current members.)
GIG HISTORY is HERE